Monument record CHW 001 - Chelsworth Bridge
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9825 4798 (43m by 46m)|
|Civil Parish||CHELSWORTH, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Two short hump-backed bridges of brick, N of Bridge Farm. One is dated 1754 by Jervoise (S1)(S4).
1975: The bridge is in 2 parts and really consists of 2 narrow, humped- backed bridges of red brick. the N one is of 3 spans and looks older than the S one of 2 spans. The S one has a stone plaque with the date 1754. Crosses the River Brett. In fair condition (S2).
1981: W side of N bridge appears to be of more modern construction. Both bridges in good condition. Some repair work seems to have been carried out to piers of S bridge. Evidence of scraping of brickwork by vehicles (S2). 1986: N bridge has very new, fresh brickwork at NE, running from N end of pier to S end of northernmost arch. W side indeed seems to be of more recent brickwork than rest of monument (apart from repairs). S bridge crosses a fast-flowing weir. It has some cracks and bulges in its E face. Very new, fresh brickwork at SE, in both parapet and coping (S2).
1991: Although being maintained, is falling and at risk. "Constantly being damaged by vehicles" (S3).
- --- SSF10079 Bibliographic reference: Jervoise, E.. 1932. The Ancient Bridges of Mid and Eastern England. 127.
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, Buildings of England, Suffolk, 1975, 164.
- <M1> SSF43383 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S3> SSF21759 (No record type): Suff Pres Soc (Paul Edwards) survey, table of results, 1991.
- <S4> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 11-MAR-81.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Mar 18 2021 9:21AM