Monument record LVM 004 - Market Cross
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9162 4932 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||LAVENHAM, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Market cross, well weathered stone octagonal shaft on a three tier square base, with a ball being substituted for a cross in the C17. Said to be an ecclesiastical wayside cross (built in 1501) replacing the timber market cross either in the C16 or C17.
1981: Cross in good repair. A great deal of repointing has been done to stonework. Ball on the top reinforced with an iron bar 1971, at the same time the brick base, which was in a bad state of repair, was clad with stone (S1).
1986: Monument is mainly of limestone, which is very weathered in places. It consists (from the ground up) of a square, 3-stepped base; a square plinth; an octagonal shaft; a stone globe; and the remains of a twisted wrought iron ?cross. Some fairly old concrete repairs (S1). 1991: Said to be unmaintained. "Children and adults climb on it" (S2).
- --- SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS 25" 1904.
- --- SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 GJM 19-DEC-79.
- <M1> SSF42906 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF5208 (No record type): DOE (HHR), Cosford RD Suffolk, 1947, 78.
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF21759 (No record type): Suff Pres Soc (Paul Edwards) survey, table of results, 1991.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Mar 18 2021 9:30AM