Monument record LMD 044 - Melford Green
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8653 4652 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||LONG MELFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Market Cross - remains of. Dated circa C13, destroyed 1642. Base survives: 0.8m square, 0.3m deep with socket hole circa 0.1m deep containing fragment of shaft.
(TL 86544654) Cross (NR) (Remains of) (NAT). (S1)
Remains of a market cross situated on Melford Green. It dates from the reign of King John (1199-1216) and was destroyed at the time of the rebellion of 1642. A solid block of stone, about 3 links square and about a foot high, still remains embedded in the ground. (S2)
Only the base of the cross, 0.8 m square and 0.3 m deep, remains. The socket-hole, approximately 0.1 m deep, still has a portion of the cross-shaft in it. (S3)
- <S1> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL84NE16.
- <S2> SSF59954 Source Unchecked: 1924. RONB 1924.
- <S3> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 3 2021 1:27PM