Find Spot record CAV 003 - River Stour, Cavendish
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 795 453 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CAVENDISH, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1952: Complete cordoned pot, Iron Age 'C', covered in chalk deposit. Recovered from river Stour in front of Cavendish Hall (S1-S5)..
An Iron Age pottery vessel (circa BC50-AD50) was found by W Shaw while fishing in the River Stour at TL 795454 circa 1952. Now in the possession of Mrs Brocklebank, Cavendish Hall. A late Bronze Age urn, inverted over cremation burial, was previously found near the same spot in 1843. This was given to the old Sudbury Museum (not at Belle Vue) but it's whereabouts are not now known. (S4-S5)
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, LXIV, 18 (photograph in Evening Star 19.1.53.).
- <S2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCVIII, 104, 106 (photo in Evening Star 19.1.53 & EADT 20.1.53).
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Cavendish IA `C', undated.
- <S4> SSF59893 Article in serial: Elliott, C. R.. 1952. Pottery Vessel found at Cavendish.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 5 2021 12:38PM