Monument record STS 001 - Stanstead Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8436 4931 (86m by 77m)|
|Civil Parish||STANSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Site of Stanstead Hall, believed to have burnt down in 1841. Pond, possibly part of a moat. Unoccupied. Next to church.
Shown on OS 1st edition.
2006:An archaeological evaluation, consisting of desk-based asessment, topographic survey and trial trenching was carried out as Stanstead Hall, Stanstead prior to development. The documentary survey has confirmed the location of an earlier hall, probably originally within a moated enclosure, that is indicated on the First Edition OS. This early hall was replaced in the 1830's by the current house, contrary to its Grade II listing as having 16th-17th century origins. Trenching identified foundations for a small range of 19th century outbuildings to the current hall and a large undated feature that may be part of a former pond. No archaeological deposits relating to the earlier hall were seen (S2)
- <S1> SSF12429 (No record type): OS, 1 inch map, (1st ed), sheet 54, 1836.
- <S2> SSF50056 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service evaluation report. Craven J, SCCAS 2006/061 Stanstead Hall Evaluation.
- <S3> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S4> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 JHO 20-SEP-50.
- <S5> SSF60034 Personal Correspondence: Various. Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comment. Miss Roeburn Stanstead.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Nov 8 2021 6:10PM