Building record SBC 012 - Grenville College; Stoke College; Stoke Priory
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7414 4317 (49m by 54m)|
|Civil Parish||STOKE-BY-CLARE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
- PRIORY (IPS: Early Medieval to 15th century - 1050 AD to 1415 AD)
- COLLEGE OF SECULAR PRIESTS (15th century to 16th century - 1415 AD to 1534 AD)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (16th century to 19th century - 1534 AD to 1899 AD)
- BENEDICTINE NUNNERY (IPS: Early Medieval to 15th century - 1050 AD to 1415 AD)
- SCHOOL (IPS: Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)
Stoke College (formerly Stoke Priory, now Grenville College). College incorporates minor parts of the Benedictine Priory founded circa 1090 by Geoffrey de Clare at Clare Castle and transferred to Stoke in 1124. It became a college of secular priests in 1415. Dissolved 1548 (S1). Remains of priory - consist of E parts of the Norman nave, made two-storeyed by the college, the transepts used for domestic purposes and the cloister E walk and dormitory. In the cloister walk part of a blocked doorway and a window (R1).
- <R1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 438-439.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL74SW3.
- <R2> SSF10359 Bibliographic reference: Knowles & Hadcock,. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses of England & Wales. 85, 92, 418, 440.
- <S2> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <R3> SSF5116 Bibliographic reference: Dickinson P G M,. 1956. Little Guide of Suffolk. 313-314.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 13 2021 10:03AM