Monument record HVH 008 - Coupals Road (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 683 449 (136m by 167m)|
|Civil Parish||HAVERHILL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1975-1978: Romano-British occupation layer observed in sewer trench; "finds from subsequent field walking include roof and floor tiles, tesserae, sestertius of Antoninus Pius, fragments of grey coarse ware, mortaria and samian form 18".
Romano-British occupation site spanning from the early 1st to the 4th century AD was discovered at Coupals Road during building construction in 1975 and 1978.
Considerable quantities of roof and box tile and tesserae indicated the presence of a substantial building (s). Pottery ranging from 'Belgic' imported and local wares to a variety of
Romano-British wares, including Nene Valley and Samian, were also recovered.
Other finds included bronze fibulae, coin of Antoninus Pius and some animal bone. Several (?) human inhumations were reported by workmen but these had been scattered before inspection could be made. (see sketch plan Authy 3). Pottery scatter C1-C4, tile, plain tesserae.
Inhumation burial in this area not clearly associated with the pottery
Belgic pottery including terra rubra and butt beaker and coarse wares. Inhumation in this area - not clearly associated with either group of pottery. (S1-7).
- <S1> SSF56043 Article in serial: Owles, E. J.. 1975. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1975. XXXIII.3, pp. 322–328..
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL64SE21.
- <S3> SSF3459 Unpublished document: Charge B B. Roman Settlement & Communications in& around Haverhill. Charge B B, "Roman Settlement & Communications in& around Haverhill" (Unpublished paper).
- <S4> SSF59824 Newsletter: Haverhill and District Archaeological Group. 1978. Haverhill and District Archaological Group newsletter5. HDAG Newsletters.
- <S5> SSF7389 Newsletter: Haverhill and District Archaeological Group. 1978. Haverhill and District Archaological Group newslette2.1. HDAG Newsletters.
- <S6> SSF59825 Bibliographic reference: Scott, E. 1993. A gazetteer of Roman villas in Britain.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF19719: POTTERY BELGIC (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF19720: POTTERY GALLO-BELGIC (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF19721: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF19722: FLOOR TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF19723: TESSERA (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF19724: COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF19725: BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF31703: WALL PLASTER (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF52230: ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF52231: ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF52232: HUMAN REMAINS? (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 4 2020 1:28PM