Monument record TUL 006 - Lower Mill Field, Little Thurlow
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6758 5150 (38m by 39m)|
|Civil Parish||LITTLE THURLOW, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Mill Mound, circa 26m diameter, 0.4m - 0.6m high.
Visible as ring ditch on OS AP's (S1, S3).
Smock mill on enclosure map circa 1846.
Windmill shown on mount on estate map of 1735 (S2).
TL 67585150 Ring ditch cirea 35.0m diameter. (S6)
A smock mill is shown here within a field called Lower Mill Field circa 1846. (S7)
A mill mound situated on the crest of a southwest facing ridge under plough. It measures circa 26.0m in diameter by 0.4m high on the southwest side and 0.6m high on the leeward side. No trace of the ditch visible on the APs was seen on the ground.
Surveyed at 1:2500 on AM. (S8)
The ditch of this possible post medieval mill mound can be seen on EH Reconnaissance aerial photographs taken in 2010. (S9)
- <S1> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, Strachan D, AP, CP/96/38/2, June 1996.
- <S2> SSF59834 Map: 1735. Estate map, SRO (B), HA 540/7/1, 1735.
- <S3> SSF12978 Photograph: OS, AP 76.059.070-1. OS, AP 76.059.070-1.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL65SE2.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S6> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. 1978. Field Investigators Comments. FDC 17-Jan-78.
- <S7> SSF56979 Map: 1846. Little Thurlow Tithe Map.
- <S8> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. 1978. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 01-FEB-78.
- <S9> SSF59836 Oblique Aerial Photograph: NMR. 2010. NMR 26832_001-007 09-JUL-2010.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 8 2020 2:11PM