Monument record ALP 001 - Dry ditch
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 873 505 (282m by 188m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ALPHETON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
(TL 873 505) A ditch 6ft.deep and 12ft.wide, situated in the field on the N side of Alpheton Church (detail shown on OS 6" but not described). There is a futher portion of ditch to the SW and there are indications of former ditches at both ends and on the S side suggesting a complete enlosure.(see plan). Date uncertain. (S1) The published feature on OS 25" was a ditch cut across a south facing slope from east to west for 220.0m, and then turning south for a further 20.0m. According to a local resident, before its destruction it was 1.5m deep, but now shows only as a slight undulation and a heavy scatter of flints in ploughland. It was probably an early field boundary. The remainder of the 'enclosure' shown in the illustration of authy 1 seems to comprise conveniently placed hedgerows freely interpreted into that shape, but any associated with the ditch is extemely unlikely. The 'fosse' at the south west corner is an ordinary hedgerow ditch now bounding a recent plantation. (S2)
- <S1> SSF7589 (No record type): Holden Dr J S, PSIA, 14, 1912, 305.
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card general.
- <S4> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, LXIII.II, 188059 1926.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S6> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2021 11:00AM