Monument record WLG 003 - Symonds Pit, Sicklesmere.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8791 6024 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT WHELNETHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1904: Sicklesmere Rom site discovered and described by Mr G Basil Barham. Pottery and coins (R6). See (S1)(R6)(R7).
Three small pots, fetters, samian, lamp slipper etc. Found in Symonds pit on left of road from Bury St Edmunds (now Raynesford Estate).
1958: A J Crocker reported "sherds found in rubbish pits" to the OS (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (R1).
1963: A J Crocker excavated (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), nearby pottery sherds C1-C3. C3 coins, Claudius II, Numerian. Iron spearhead, tiles, brick, lava quern fragments (R2).
Colour coated ware, C2 mortaria, coins Antoninius, Pius, Gallienus, Constantine I & II (R3)(R4)(R5).
See also Misc Rom, WLG 005.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86SE30.
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 319.
- <R2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1926-59, 1932-14, 1930-167,208.
- <R3> SSF11472 (No record type): Moore I, Roman Suffolk.
- <R4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA 29, 354.
- <R5> SSF4214 (No record type): Crocker A J, per I Moore..
- <R6> SSF284 (No record type): Antiquarian, 42, July 1906, 248-250.
- <R7> SSF283 (No record type): Antiquarian, 40, 1904, 292.
- FSF19480: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19481: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19482: LAMP (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19483: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19484: SPEARHEAD (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19485: TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19486: BRICK (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19487: QUERN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19488: POTTERY COLOUR COATED (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19489: SHACKLE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 15 2009 11:17AM