Monument record HGW 005 - Round barrow of unknown date, marked on the OS 1st edition map.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7172 6855 (45m by 42m)|
|Civil Parish||HERRINGSWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Round Barrow (?)
1837: Marked on OS 1st edition map. 6 inch scale map shows two small 100 feet contour rings (HGW 004 & 005) and a larger 100 feet contour area to the SE of them. The whole group forming a line 380m long running NE-SW, to the E of Warrenhill Farm (Tithe Farm on 1836 Tithe Map).
1977: (Grid reference TL 7171 6857). Truncated round barrow visible as a dark soil mark on OS air photograph, lying on the edge of a S facing ridge under plough. Measures overall 40.0m NW- SE by 30m transversely and is upto 1m high. No trace of a ditch (S1).
April 1999: Scheduled (together with HGW 004). Details in (S2).
- <M1> SSF42825 (No record type): Barrow index:.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL76NW5B and AP 76/060/125, May 1976.
- <M2> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. SAM file: (S2).
- <S2> SSF50080 Unpublished document: English Heritage. English Heritage, Scheduling Information.
- <S3> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 22 2021 2:27PM