Monument record HGW 006 - Near Herringswell Belt
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7317 6817 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||HERRINGSWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
TL 73176818 Ring ditch 30.0m diameter visible on OS air photograph. (S1)
The site lies on a gentle north slope on the edge of high ground in an area of sandy chalk loam. No features were seen on the ground and no finds made in the area. Possibly a barrow. (S2)
Unclear on 1986 colour vertical - area of periglacial soil activity makes distinguishing ring ditches hazardous (S4).
- <S1> SSF59911 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1976. AP(OS 76/060/126.5 76).
- <S2> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 01-SEP-77.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL76NW20.
- <S4> SSF47 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 1986. Colour Vertical AP (SCC), Ref no 2786/156. 1986 Colour Vertical AP (SCC), Ref no 2786/156.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 18 2021 11:18AM