Monument record HIG 004 - Medieval Earthwork, lower side of Lower Green, Higham
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 743 654 (217m by 349m)|
|Civil Parish||HIGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Earthworks in longstanding pasture field SW of church. Partially marking lower side of Lower Green.
Also hollow way N [& E) of church (see HIG 017)(S1,S2).
Visible on OS air photograph. (S3)
The earthworks to the south west of the church lie in an area of old pasture called 'Brakes' by local residents. They comprise a hollow-way 0.8m deep forming a continuation of the present track and possibly late enclosure boundaries. No trace of village shrinkage could be seen at either position. (S4)
- <S1> SSF19491 Unpublished document: Mowat R.J.C.. 1976. Site report, HIG 004. SAU, Mowat R, site report, HIG 004, March 1976.
- <S2> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex CC, AP, BW/99/5114 & BW/99/6/1,3 & 4.
- <S3> SSF59913 Photograph: Ordnance Survey. AP (OS 76/060/091).
- <S3> SSF59957 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. APs (OS 74/091 167-8).
- <S4> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 30-AUG-77.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 19 2021 8:17PM