Monument record SXL 003 - Church of St Nicholas
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7991 6372 (63m by 54m)|
|Civil Parish||THE SAXHAMS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Church. Nave, chancel, N aisle, W tower. Norman elements : round tower, S doorway, tower arch. N aisle and porch Decorated. Nave and S chancel Perpendicular (S1,R1).
From NHRE recoes:
(TL 79926371) St Nicholas's Church (NAT) (C of E) (1)
A Church of St. Nicholas 12C. round tower with arcaded top.
12C. nave walls and S. door. 15C. porch. L.14C. chancel and N.
aisle. Chantry chapel of Sir Thomas Lucas, died 1531 Solicitor
General to Henry VII, whose altar tomb arch remains, the tomb
itself having been cut up to make way for a Croft monument.
Nave and chancel random flint, ashlar, lead roof. Plain
octagonal font. 17C cover. 16C. octagonal pulpit. One traceried
bench end and a number of benches with grotesque in lieu of
poppy heads. Monument to Lord and Lady Crofts in N. chapel, 1677
with recumbent figures. Other memorials of the Croftes dated
1642, 1694 and 1727. (2)
Acclaimed the finest round tower in Suffolk. (3)
The tower is listed as being Norman. (4)
- <R1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner, 337.
- <M1> SSF50051 Unpublished document: Church File. Church index : copy (S1).
- <S1> SSF687 (No record type): Archaeologia, 23, 12-15.
- <S2> SSF59814 Index: DoE. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. DOE (HHR) dist of Thingoe R.D. Suffolk - April 1951 45.
- <S3> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S3> SSF60091 Bibliographic reference: Goode, W.J. 1982. East Anglian Round Towers and their Churches.
- <S4> SSF60112 Bibliographic reference: Hart, Stephen. 2003. The Round Towered Churches of England.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 25 2021 3:11PM