Monument record FAS 002 - Fornham Causewayed enclosure
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 832 682 (482m by 651m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||FORNHAM ALL SAINTS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||HENGRAVE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A series of cropmarks photographed by K J St Joseph (S7).
Interrupted ditch system showing as a cropmark in an arable field, first recorded by Prof J K St Joseph of Cambridge. Partly in Hengrave parish. Consists of a main double ditched enclosure circa 280 x 325m with a subsidiary double ditched enclosure, possibly 325m in diameter, attached to its S side. The ditches of the main enclosure are circa 30m apart and those of the extension are 8m apart (measuring between the centre lines). The system is crossed by a cursus (FAS 004). Both are probably Neolithic in date (S1-S4). Discussed in (S9)(S10).
- <S1> SSF21587 (No record type): St Joseph J K, Air recc: recent results 2, Antiquity 38, 1964, 290-291.
- <M1> SSF46526 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86NW11.
- <S2> SSF23252 (No record type): Wilson D R, Causewayed camps and interrupted ditch systems, Antiquity 195, 1975, 178-186.
- <M2> SSF46527 (No record type): APs: (S4)(S5)(S6)(S8).
- <S3> SSF15492 (No record type): Palmer R, Interrupted ditch enclosures in Britain: the use of aerial photography for comparative stu.
- <S4> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs ABM 3, ADE 42, BPX 95 etc.
- <S5> SSF18296 (No record type): SAU, AP ABB 27 16-19, 23-27, AJC 2, APX 4-5, AJP 4, AJI 4-8.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR, APs TL 8368/20/446 & 448, TL 8368/19/443, TL 8368/21/453.
- <S7> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S8> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, APs, CP/97/13/29 & 26, June 1997.
- <S9> SSF50117 Bibliographic reference: Oswald, A., Dyer, C. & Barber, M.. 2001. The Creation of Monuments: Neolithic Causewayed Enclosures in the British Isles. Pages 30.52,69,75-77, 95, 155, ill.
- <S10> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TL 831 684, JDF 2-6 & TL 830 686, JDE 5, 1 July 1996.
- <S10> SSF58519 Unpublished document: Martin, E.. 1976. Prehistoric Crop-Mark Sites in Suffolk.
- <S11> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 16 2019 10:56PM