Monument record FSG 004 - Abbot's Mill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 840 683 (284m by 428m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||FORNHAM ST GENEVIEVE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Deserted medieval village (S1).
Abbot of Bury St Edmunds had villa (see FSG 003) and a water mill (FSG 009) here, estate known in early times as Abbot's Mill. For post dissolution hall see FSG 003. For layout of village in 1769, prior to major rebuild (& demolitions?) by 12th Duke of Norfolk, see (S2). HER'd area enlarged after (S2) in July 1996.
`Houses near church said to have disappeared due to formation of Fornham Park sometime between 1769 and 1788' (S3), prior to 1783 (S4).
- <R1> SSF1194 Bibliographic reference: Beresford M and Hurst J G. 1971. Deserted Medieval Villages. p. 203.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86NW17.
- <S2> SSF22855 (No record type): Warren T, `Survey of Parish of Fornham St Genevieve...', 1769, SRO (Bury).
- <S3> SSF7028 Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.
- <S4> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 6 2014 3:02PM