Monument record PKM 010 - Bridge Farm (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 929 701 (100m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||PAKENHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
In 1906 on Bridge Farm near the house, four skeletons were found at a depth of 4-5 feet. They were reported as lying at all angles, i.e. not E-W orientated, and with good teeth, all were young males. No report of any pottery found. Details given to Basil Brown by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s). Another skeleton was discovered during World War II when an air raid shelter was being erected at the same location, seen by Basil Brown and taken to Ipswich Museum. In August 1948 at least one more skeleton was discovered in what is now the garden of Bridge Farm. This was at a depth of 3 feet 6 inches - 4 feet, lying N-S, with pottery overlying the remains (S1)(S2). In the same area of Bridge Farm, in the 1950's an AS of Vespasian (M & S 786) AD 77-78 was found by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), who eventualy gave it to Ipswich Museum (S3).
Findspot marked on map by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S4). The owner also says that bones thought to be human burials, were found during construction of the grain store at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) in 1959 (S5). See also Un.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume, card, map.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, III, 1,20,21, XI, 119, LXIX, 11,54, XCIII, 65, XCVI, 48, 49, 66, card index 229, map 52a.
- <M2> SSF44164 (No record type): BSEMH archive: microfilm (of S4) & notes.
- <S2> SSF7792 (No record type): IPSMG map and list M103.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 958-205, 1958.
- <S4> SSF2550 (No record type): BSEMH, 6 inch record map, 34 SW, R Erskine entry, undated.
- <S5> SSF10488 (No record type): Lawson, P.. Lawson P, 1996.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2009 9:57AM