Monument record PKM 028 - Grimstone End (BA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 936 692 (484m by 577m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||PAKENHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Grimstone End is a multi-period site which had been kept under observation by Basil Brown since the find of the first kiln in 1944 and which was still yielding artefacts in 1965. The area was gradually being demolished by quarrying operations for gravel and Basil was very often only able to record and recover sites and finds immediately prior to their destruction. Three excavations on behalf of Ipswich Museum, were carried out - Rom kiln 22 in the spring of 1956, kiln 140 in March 1960 and kiln 147 in June 1960 all in the area covered by PKM 028. In 1953 the Museum with Basil Brown in charge excavated the BA disc barrow and associated Rom and Anglo Saxon sites - finds from this excavation area are covered by PKM 006. Burials and cremations, buildings and pottery kilns, are found all over the area and from all periods.
Fourteen BA Beaker sherds from Grimstone End. Basil Brown records that during his holiday in August 1958 A R Edwardson, curator Moyses Hall Museum, visited the site and found 13 Beaker sherds in Grid C5, referecne 78. Basil found another on his return and all 14 were handed to Ipswich Museum (S1)(S3)(R1). Edwardson marks these finds with (?two) crosses, (mainly) at TL 9367 6936 and at TL 9361 6932 (S4).
In 1965 during gravel extraction the dragline driver found two sherds of BA pottery, together with pottery, spindle whorls, bone comb, all Sax, in a depression 9 feet in diameter and 1 foot 6 inches deep, probably a Sax hut. All finds were presented to Ipswich Museum (S2).
Excavations of Bronze Age barrow with primary cremational food vessel (and secondary Roman cremations)(S5).
- <R1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP 80M, CCQ79.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XV 11 ; XXX 14.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <M2> SSF39080 (No record type): BSEMH archive: microfilm (of S4) & notes.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff 1965, PSIA, 1966, (2), 194.
- <R2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, cards 958-187 & 212, 1958.
- <R3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 965-33, 1965.
- <S3> SSF9898 (No record type): IPSMG, site plans Brown B, M133 M134.
- <S4> SSF2781 (No record type): BSEMH, Correspondents 6 inch record map, 34 SW, A R Edwardson entry, 2/ 9/58..
- <S5> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 1955, 44.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2015 11:56AM