Monument record NRN 003 - Norton Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9694 6533 (163m by 132m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
`Three parts of a moat remain at Norton Hall, east of the village...' (S1). `Moat, three arms of which are waterfilled, with the remaining W arm visible as a strong dry depression, 2.0m deep. A slight depression overgrown with nettles in the SW corner probably represents the site of a building, otherwise the interior is featureless. The remains of a possible fish pond occur at TL 9690 6527' (S2).
Portions of a large square. Two wet arms, circa 2m deep, W and N arms dry. Slight depression in SW corner, probable building site. Unoccupied. Isolated, circa 1,170m from parish boundary, 1, 150m from church. Overgrown. Probably site of original Norton Hall, as located on Hodskinson's 1783 map? (S3).
For layout in 1814 see (S4).
- <M1> SSF44157 (No record type): APs: NAU GDN 1-2 (contacts).
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 614.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL96NE13, October 1971.
- <S3> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S4> SSF50054 Map: Norton Enclosure Award (1811) & map (1814), SRO(B), Q/R1.1.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 1 1996 12:00AM