Monument record LGH 004 - Castle Ditches
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 981 691 (453m by 336m)|
|Civil Parish||LANGHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
'Castle Ditches' is the name given to a field E of the church (LGH 006) and N of a moated area (LGH 001), which local tradition asserts to be the site of a village but all traces of earthworks have been obliterated during the last fifty years (S1).
1971: No trace on the ground or on OS AP 70/070/43. The area is under grass (S2).
Note area within park of Sir Pat Blake in 1783 (S3).
- <R1> SSF1201 (No record type): Beresford, DMV, 1971, 203.
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 624.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL96NE24,.
- <S3> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S4> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS 6" 1958.
- <S5> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 20-OCT-71.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 30 2021 9:09AM