Monument record BNH 011 - Roman artefact scatter of pottery.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8435 7941 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BARNHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1913-1919: Large quantity of pottery from surface mostly 'from about a quarter acre of the six acre field'.. She dug a trench about 6ft by 4ft by 4ft deep. Details of finds in (S3). Also iron auger or gouge, 11.75ins long and coin of Maximum (235-238). Includes details of flints from an adjoining site (6 BAT, 2 OLS, 18 chisel, 5 triangular borers, 1 bone borer (awl?), pot axes etc.
"Roman site worked by Mrs Caton". Pottery "C1-C5" (S1). One mile W of station : 12 coins (Commodus - Constantine II), Samian, glass, 'Belgic ware', roof and flue tiles (S2).
?Excavated by Mrs Caton circa 1920.
- FSF30659: POTTERY COLOUR COATED (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF30660: AUGER (Undated)
- FSF30661: GOUGE (Undated)
- FSF8223: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF8224: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF8225: COIN (Roman - 201 AD to 300 AD?)
- FSF8226: DRINKING VESSEL (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF8227: ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF8228: FLUE TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF8229: POTTERY BELGIC (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 15 2021 11:37AM