Monument record WRW 008 - King's Forest
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8409 7461 (50m by 51m)|
|Civil Parish||WORDWELL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round barrow, adjacent to Traveller's Hill (WRW 001), shown, with Traveller's Hill, on OS 1st edition map 1836 (S1). Group of three barrows on 1st edition map. OS cited grid references correct for other two barrows (WRW 001 & 009) so presume correct for this also.
1800: two circular mounds are drawn within 'Hillock Close' on estate map (S5). Not known which barrows these might be but probably WRW 001 and either WRW 009 or 047.
Also listed with WRW 001 (?photographed 1935 with two other barrows). Not shown on 1840 Tithe Map or OS 6 inch maps of 1891 or 1905 when only WRW 001 shown in open (cultivated) fields.
Note: 1935 - A bowl barrow covered with trees (WRW 001). A smaller bowl barrow each side of it (WRW 008, WRW 009, or 047?), as marked on OS lst Edition. These additional examples are under grass but look as if they have been ploughed in former times (S3).
April 2008: no longer visible at cited NGR (to W of Forest ride and NW of WRW 009) but 1935 entry above suggests possibly cited to E or SE of WRW 001.
August 2008: site inspected following clearfell of pine plantation. Nothing visible at cited NGR (NW of WRW 009) but possibly located to E of WRW 001 where slight mound (only up to circa 20cm high) visible under bramble cover at TL 8428 7449 approx (S4)(see WRW 047).
April-May 2009: no longer visible (S6, recorded as WRW 009 in error).
Precision of locations of barrows on OS Ist edition map needs checking!
- <M1> SSF40588 (No record type): Barrow index:.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL87SW2.
- <S3> SSF12271 (No record type): NWHCM, photograph, 1935.
- <S4> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Pendleton C (SCCAS), 31/08/2008.
- <S5> SSF50262 Cartographic materials: Map. A survey and rough plan of Wordwell Estate in the County of Suffolk 1800, SRO (Bury) M593/1.
- <S6> SSF50355 Unpublished document: Craven, J.. 2009. Archaeological Survey Report: Rapid ID Survey of FC land Norfolk & Suffolk. p5-6, Fig 3.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 25 2019 10:16AM