Monument record CUL 006 - Culford Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8560 7569 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||CULFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Three socketed bronze axes, two plain, one with `raised line decoration', all appear sharp and in good condition (S5). Found together in 1951 while ploughing, at a depth of 15 inches, by George Cook, Sevenhills, Ingham (R1)(R3).
Fourth axe was discovered "200 yards away" (according to findspots 300 yards away) in 1957. (See Culford 014.)
Basil Brown visited site with Maltby and Cook, but no further indications seen, 18.12.1951 (S1).
Grid reference revised from TL 855 757 to TL 8561 7570 after (S4). For further socketed axe from West Farm, Barnham, see BNH Misc (CRN 10113) and for copper ingots from West Farm see BNH 006 & 057.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume, card index.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, X, 110,111; XCVIII, 11, 97; card index 108 (includes cuttings from EDP and Star with photog.
- <R1> SSF5627 (No record type): EDP, 15.12.1951.
- <M2> SSF43418 (No record type): BSEMH map archive: notes & microfilm.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 27, 1957, (3), 178 (sub Barnham).
- <R2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL87NE21 (after S2).
- <S4> SSF2571 (No record type): BSEMH, 6 inch record map, XXII SE, A R Edwardson entry, undated.
- <S5> SSF5637 (No record type): Edwardson A R, BA Metal Work in Moyses Hall Museum, 1968, Nos 69, 70 & 98.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 20 2005 4:36PM