Monument record ING 004 - Seven Hills
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 862 737 (25m by 25m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||INGHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Sites of four round barrows, part of the Seven Hills group (see also Little Livermere 002, 004 and 005).
Marked as mounds on OS 1st edition map, 1837.
1962: Sites lay in a field on the W side of the road, planted with cabbages. With the exception of a few slight undulations nothing of them remained (S1).
1976: Soil mark of a ring ditch visible at TL 8622 7373. It has a diameter of 26m and a central spot (S2).
1977: On the ground the ring ditch is evident as a dark ring, 1.5m wide, with a slight rise in the middle. 'It would seem that an attempt has been made to interpret natural undulations as the missing four barrows, when in fact only one existed; that visible on the aerial photograph' (S1). A sandstone saddle quern is reported to have been ploughed out at 'Seven Hills, Ingham' in 1959 and subsequently exhibited at BSEMH (S3)(S4).
March 1999: Scheduled (together with LML 002, 004 & 005). Details in (S5).
- <M1> SSF39920 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL87SE1D,E,F,G.
- <S2> SSF12989 (No record type): OS, AP 76/060/235/May 1976.
- <M2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <S3> SSF5531 (No record type): EADT, 14.1.1959.
- <S4> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, LXIV, 31.
- <S5> SSF50080 Unpublished document: English Heritage. English Heritage, Scheduling Information, June 1999.
- <S6> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TL 862 737, JGG 7-8, 20 July 1992.
- FSF11913: QUERN (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 7 2019 6:37PM