Monument record LML 003 - Livermere Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 880 720 (619m by 559m)|
|Civil Parish||LITTLE LIVERMERE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Deserted village of Little Livermere (site of).
Aerial photographs show a street, with tofts on either side, running to the W of Park Farm and Little Livermere church (S1)(S2). As originally photographed by Cambridge, the remains consisted of slight earthworks in a pasture field, however, in the 1960's the field was converted to arable and the later photographs show soilmarks of the village site.
The village was moved circa 1735-1750, when Livermere Park was laid out. It is said that the villagers were re-housed in a row of houses called The Barracks, on the N side of The Common, just outside the W perimeter of the park (S3). However, only 11 inhabited houses (or 15 households?) listed for Little Livermere in 1674 (7 in 1801)(S4).
A scatter of flint, undressed stone, brick and pottery has been noted at TM 8796 7183, covering an area 60m x 40m (S5). Probably Med village site also - note church LML 012.
Very few earthworks/cropmarks show on the 1947 RAF APs (photos too dark and also taken during the Summer). Large house platform just visible at TL 8799 7196 (S6).
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP AMT 98, AAQ 82, 80, AKQ 85, ATS 57, GB 17, OA 31,32, RS 78, CCQ 67; (S6).
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs AMT 98 (1965), AAQ 82 (1960), AKQ 85 (1965), ATS 57 (1966), GB 17 (1951), OA 31,32 (1954).
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL87SE17 & 18 (Notes on Livermere Park (Med deer park)).
- <R2> SSF1193 (No record type): Beresford & Hurst, DMVs, 1971, 203.
- <S2> SSF18885 (No record type): SAU, APs ALC 17-18.
- <M2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. UI 83 & 84; SAU ALC 17-18; NMR 13353/13,14.
- <S3> SSF17524 (No record type): Redman A J, The Cottage, Great Livermere, on SIA excursion 1988.
- <S4> SSF6775 (No record type): Gault W, Parochial Characteristic's Survey, Blackbourn, 1989.
- <S5> SSF20062 (No record type): SAU, original SMR card.
- <R6> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF, APs, 106G/UK/1589, 6394, 1946.
- <S6> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 GJM 17-FEB-77.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 15 2021 12:53PM