Monument record BAR 005 - Site of a former Medieval moated manor house and fishpond.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9393 7363 (100m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||BARDWELL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Moat (site of), W of church. Bulldozed 1959, visible as a shallow depression.
Fishponds at TL 9393 7354, filled in (R1). Manor House of de Bardwells. Clay and timber structures, carved stones from ? Ixworth Priory (IXW 012) and Tudor brickwork. House demolished pre C18. Size of moat: 360 feet square.
C12-C13 coffin lid found outside moat towards river in area called 'Sewer Beds'. On his 6 inch OS map, B Brown marks a site at TL 9376 7392 as 'De Bardwell manor house site' as well as the one referenced on this card (S1).
Tithe map depicts D-shaped moat with narrow entrance on eastern side. Apportionment lists this as `Hall Yards and Garden' (S2).
One line of trees of former avenue leading from hall site extant in 1946 - noted on RAF APs (S3).
1086 Lands belonged to Abbot of St Edmunds although not as a monor.
1097 Granted to Ralph de Berdewell in fee.
1484 Alloted to Thomas Darcy (linked to Stowmarket, Woolpit, Great Ashfield, and Elmswell).
1495 Valued 5 marks and held of the Abbot of Bury by Knights Service.
1772 Sir Patrick Blake (linked to Langham).
1905 Sir Patrick Blake owns.
Sub manors: Wyken Hall BAR 069. Bowbeck House BAR 056.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL97SW37.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XII, 83-103, 120, 121; XXIV, 38; XXX, 57; XCVI, 45; XC,117-127, 131; card index 12,13,14,15.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <S2> SSF1003 Map: 1838/39. Bardwell Tithe Map and Apportionment. Bardwell Tithe Map, 1838, SRO(B) T41/1,2.
- <M2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. APs: NMR 13353/11,12 (25/07/91); (S3).
- <R2> SSF6186 (No record type): Evening Star, Sep 30 1959, Dec 1959.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF, APs, 106G/UK/1589 Frame 4383, 1946.
- <R3> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 604.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 9 2019 8:04AM