Monument record KNE 002 - Round Barrow in Brick Kiln Covert
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9618 8021 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||KNETTISHALL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1962: A mound in a thin wood where the ground is very uneven, apparently due to natural causes, in spite of the name of the wood. About 5 feet high and 80 feet diameter (S1).
1969: 2.1m high, 30.5m diameter (S1).
1976: Unlocated among closely planted conifers (S2)(R1).
1981: This monument totally eluded me after over an hour's search. Whole area densely planted with pine and bracken almost impenetrable (S1). 1986: Found, following recent thinning of plantation. Approximately 1.5m high, 25m diameter. W side crossed and crushed by track recently used by heavy vehicles. Mound planted with conifers, some fallen (2 flint flakes in roots of one), many animal holes (S1).
1995: Eventually found in mature coniferous plantation. Much pitting/ undulations around. Note earthwork enclosure (KNE 019) in plantation. Although barrow is in centre, this enclosure is likely to be connected with early planting on the heath. Compare to KNE 021 and ELV 034 (S3).
February 1999: Scheduled area revised (S1). For detailed plot see OS 1905 map (S4).
- <R1> SSF10480 (No record type): Lawson, A.J., Martin, E. & Priddy, D.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. Lawson A J, Martin E A & Priddy D, The Barrows of East Anglia, EAA report no. 12, 1981.
- <M1> SSF43462 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF10870 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E A, 1976.
- <M2> SSF43463 (No record type): Barrow survey archive:.
- <S3> SSF21930 (No record type): Sussams K, Brecks Survey, 1995.
- <S4> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS Map, 1905.
- FSF17745: WORKED OBJECT (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Jul 9 2019 4:22PM