Monument record KNE 006 - Nick's Hill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 95100 79700 (327m by 233m)|
|Civil Parish||KNETTISHALL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Bronze Age Site - Nick's Hill (See also Coney Weston 003).
1. Knettishall Heath, 3 food vessels (Thetford Museum) (R1). Now recorded as CNW 003.
2. March 1925: 'In a gravel pit at Nick's Hill, Knettishall from which came three BA urns now in Thetford Museum. The Rev H T Green tells me that there are 4 filled in trenches exposed in a section and that the urns came from the bottom of ... them. The pit is in a rectangular enclosure, possibly a BA camp, not far from Peddars Way' (S1).A sub-rectangular boundar (bank?) is shown on the OS 1880s and 1900s maps. Note 1905 map shows NW as former pit filled with trees.
3. 'Ante 1924 in a gravel pit about here rows of MBA "food-vessels" (rather degenerated). Three in the Thetford Museum, from trenches circa 2 feet deep' (S2).
4. ? Tumulus called Nick's Hill, near Coney Weston boundary, SSW of Hut Hill (R2)(S6). Possible barrow site? - also recorde under CNW 003.
5. TL 949 797 approx, Knettishall Heath - Nick's Hill. March 1958 : 'Examined all possible evidence and moved spoil. One sherd of apparently Middle Bronze Age'. Sherds of pottery (MBA?) recovered by B Brown, February 1958 (S5).
Seems likely that the earlier discovery, circa 1924, was made in quarry in 'Gravelpit Covert' (Coney Weston 003)[no, unlikely as pit already disused for some time by time of 1905 OS mapping when shown as being infilled with mature trees, hence 'Covert' name], this being the only quarry shown on map revised in 1930 as being near Nick's Hll [OS 1920s map need checking, not available in Suffolk Record Office, Bury but 1958 map states area last surveyed 'pre 1930' - probably as 1900s map! ]. Quarry extended into the area of KNE 006 post 1953 [note - the quarry is actually existing on 1945/6 RAF A/P]. B Brown discoveries may have been in this enlargement of the pit. Quarry worked out by 1976 and site was then being used for tipping old building materials by Hales Containers Ltd (S4).
Conclusion is that finds come from this Knettishall site rather than the Gravelpit Covert (CNW 003) site (CP, Jan 2008).
- <S1> SSF3701 (No record type): Clarke W G, Notebook, Norfolk & Norwich Record Office Ms 128.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume, card index.
- <R1> SSF7128 (No record type): Green Rev H T, PSIA, 18, 1924, 252,253.
- <M2> SSF36330 (No record type): Gravel Pit survey: report.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL97NE1.
- <R2> SSF7467 (No record type): Hewitt H Dixon, Notes on Suffolk Tumuli.
- <S3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XII, 20; LXVI, 25; card index 204; map SAU ref no 14.
- <S4> SSF11575 (No record type): Mowat R, Gravel Survey Report, 18.5.76.
- <S5> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card MBA or LBA.
- <S6> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card undated.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2015 4:49PM