Monument record ABK 010 - Poplar Farm, Church Field. (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1757 5510 (56m by 59m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ASHBOCKING, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Roman remains beneath Med moated site. Walked by B Brown and S Page from 1946-1949, with surface finds of Rom, Sax and Med pottery. Brown records a previous trial dig had taken place at this site by Denny & Creasy, 1894. After deep ploughing in 1949, Brown trenched the site to a depth of 4 feet, where he found timber remains, much red clay, two pairs of bronze tweezers, part of a spindle whorl, Med pottery and artefacts, fused material and possibly Late Saxon pottery (S1)(S2).
This is one of two moated sites within area ABK 001.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM15NE10.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IX, 79,85,89-96,101,102; XIII, 16,17; LXXXIX, 38; XCVI, 98,130, 131,136,228,230; XC (photo).
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <M2> SSF36999 (No record type): APs: ADH 5, ADG 3, 1976.
- <R2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1949-164, 1949.
- <S2> SSF9891 (No record type): IPSMG, site plan M128, Brown B, 1966.
- <M3> SSF37000 (No record type): Photographs: BIG 1-3.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 10 2009 5:07PM