Monument record ABK 010 - Poplar Farm, Church Field. (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1757 5510 (56m by 59m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ASHBOCKING, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
One of two Med moated sites within area ABK 001, which was walked by Basil Brown and S Page from 1946-1949. Brown records an earlier trial dig by Denny and Creasy in 1894. After deep ploughing in 1949, Brown trenched the moated site to a depth of 4 feet, revealing the Roman horizon, but found a mass of Med debris in the removed soil. This included some very good C13 and C14 pottery, pieces of very fine glazed Continental imported ware, an iron prick spur, iron arrowhead, knife and fused material, possibly glass (S1)(S2).
Rectangular moat visible on APs (S3).
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM15NE10.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IX,79,85,89-96,101,102; XIII, 16,17; LXXXIX, 38; XCVI, 98.130, 131,136,228,230; XC (photo),.
- <M2> SSF45836 (No record type): APs: ADH 5, ADG 3.
- <R2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1949-164, 1949.
- <S2> SSF9891 (No record type): IPSMG, site plan M128, Brown B, 1966.
- <S3> SSF18784 (No record type): SAU, APs ADH 5, ADG 3, 1976.
- <M3> SSF45837 (No record type): Photographs: BIG 1-3.
- <R3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 25, 1950, 206.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 10 2009 5:07PM