Monument record STN 004 - Possible location of former barrow

Please read our .

Summary

Documentary evidence indicates that an earthwork barrow was recorded at this location in 1954. Subsequent investigation some decades later could find no trace of a mound.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 8094 8728 (50m by 50m)
Map sheet TL88NW
Civil Parish SANTON DOWNHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

"Earthworks in West Suffolk inspected in 1954" - tumulus marked on OS 6 inch map, no trace can now be found (S1) (S3).
Probably as reported by Grace Briscoe - see (S4).

July 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
No evidence of the putative barrow described above was identified on the consulted aerial photographs and lidar.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 7th July 2017.

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <M1> (No record type): Barrow Survey archive :.
  • <S1> Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Santon Downham,.
  • <S2> (No record type): Lawson, A.J., Martin, E. & Priddy, D.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. Lawson A J, Martin E A & Priddy D, Barrows of E Anglia, EAA, 12, 1981.
  • <S3> (No record type): SAU (Pendleton C), 1987.
  • <S4> Unpublished document: Lady Grace Briscoe. Grace Briscoe archive. notebook containing Tumulus List.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Aug 31 2017 3:19PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.