Monument record STN 004 - Possible location of former barrow
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8094 8728 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||SANTON DOWNHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
"Earthworks in West Suffolk inspected in 1954" - tumulus marked on OS 6 inch map, no trace can now be found (S1) (S3).
Probably as reported by Grace Briscoe - see (S4).
July 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
No evidence of the putative barrow described above was identified on the consulted aerial photographs and lidar.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 7th July 2017.
- <M1> SSF40099 (No record type): Barrow Survey archive :.
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Santon Downham,.
- <S2> SSF10471 (No record type): Lawson, A.J., Martin, E. & Priddy, D.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. Lawson A J, Martin E A & Priddy D, Barrows of E Anglia, EAA, 12, 1981.
- <S3> SSF18093 (No record type): SAU (Pendleton C), 1987.
- <S4> SSF50231 Unpublished document: Lady Grace Briscoe. Grace Briscoe archive. notebook containing Tumulus List.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 31 2017 3:19PM