Monument record LKD 002 - Clamps Heath (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7765 7057 (297m by 216m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LACKFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Rectilinear cropmark system, whole field walked in 1981 and a few sherds of pottery found on the W side within the cropmark enclosure, including Nene Valley mortarium and C4 grey ware decorated flange. Quern fragment also noted (not kept)(S1).
Coins: five AD 310-337 found in the same area (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) and in the field to the W (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), where a gilded bronze oval brooch, missing the setting, and a bronze ? spatula were also found.
These were found with a metal detector (S2). Other detector finds have been mentioned from this field, further late Rom coins and LSax coins (S3).
1997: Pipeline evaluation revealed 2 ditches one of which may be part of the enclosure, for details see (S4)
- --- SSF56122 Article in serial: Minter, F & Plouviez, J. 2015. Archaeology in Suffolk 2014.
- <R1> SSF12988 (No record type): OS, AP 76/060/171 - 172.
- <S1> SSF16442 (No record type): Plouviez J, SAU, fieldwalking notes 1981 (lost in burglary 1981).
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP AVT 38, AVT 40.
- <S2> SSF21635 (No record type): Stimson D, 1983.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: description, drawing.
- <S3> SSF10854 (No record type): Marston, G.. Marston G, 1977.
- <S4> SSF50119 Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2008. Monitoring Report Generic. Plouviez J, SAU 1997.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2016 11:11AM