Monument record ACT 013 - Church of All Saints
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8922 4522 (104m by 99m)|
|Civil Parish||ACTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
All Saints Church is a C13 flint church which was restored in the C19 and is now mostly cement-faced. The upper part of the W tower was rebuilt 1913-1923 (S1).
The church contains an exceptionally fine brass, dated 1302, bearing the effigy of Sir Robert de Buers. There is another to Alice de Bryan dated 1425. (Note: More usual spelling is 'Alice de Bryenne'). The church was thoroughly restored in 1886... Register dates from 1564 (S2).
A very restored church ... This brass is third in the country in point of age but takes precedence on account of its preservation, being perfect (apart from the marginal inscription which is lost) while the others are defective. Boutell says it is the finest military brass in existence. Remains of C15 font in N aisle found in vicarage garden (S3).
Rectory - structure: chancel, nave, mortuary chapel, transept, S porch, tower (dismantled). Date: circa 1300 and Decorated. Position is in centre of parish near Acton Hall.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL84NE38, 1980.
- <R1> SSF5199 (No record type): DOE (HHR) Babergh District (Melford Area), Suffolk, 1979, 2.
- <S2> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 3.
- <S3> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 216.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 7 2006 1:14PM