Monument record SEN 001 - Two moated sites adjoining All Saints Church (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3290 8277 (92m by 99m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ALL SAINTS AND ST NICHOLAS, SOUTH ELMHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Moated site, rectangular, 80m long by 50m wide, adjoining the SW corner of All Saints churchyard. The site is now levelled and ploughed (since at least 1975); the moat is mapped on the 1:10560 OS map, which also shows an internal pond, now gone. The moat is shown as unoccupied on the 1841 Tithe Map.
Fieldwalking of the interior area has produced C13-C17 pottery and oyster shells (S1). Area shown hatched on map.
January 1998: Area scheduled, together with SEN 002. Thought to be site of former rectory (S3).
See also IA and Med.
- --- SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. (S3).
- <M1> SSF35421 (No record type): AP: NAU ADX 57 (1975); SAU AGR 10 (1977).
- <S1> SSF7257 (No record type): Hardy M J, 1985.
- <S2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 616.
- <S3> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. English Heritage Scheduling information.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 17 1999 12:22PM