Monument record WSF 028 - Dunhill Site, Bobby Hill Farm. (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0048 7481 (453m by 399m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WATTISFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Dunhill site, on the boundary with Thelnetham, covers three fields on all of which IA, Hallstatt pottery was found by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s). During field drainage, black earth, pottery and hearths were located, seen and identified by Basil Brown. One sherd of La Tene pottery was also recovered and the pottery was donated to IPSMG by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) and Basil Brown. Basil Brown comments that an ancient track leads eastwards from this site to Calke Wood, Rickinghall Inferior. IPSMG card records black flint flaked knife with the pottery (S1,S2,S3,S4).
Rom sherds also found on these fields.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XL, 5; XCIII, 16; XCVI, 5,12, map 23a.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, map.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG cards, 1936-31,32.
- <S3> SSF663 (No record type): Archaeol J, 95, 1939, 98.
- <S4> SSF20692 (No record type): SAU, Plouviez J, SMR card.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 12 2009 9:36AM