Monument record BML 002 - Anglo Saxon artefact scatter of pottery. (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 309 502 (203m by 93m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BROMESWELL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Pottery, circa C8. From a sand pit close to the Eyke Road fork. Collected by Commander Todd, Woolverstone, and examined by B Brown, 1947 (S1). LSax types in pale brown wares, slightly sagged bases, interesting pierced upright lug. Sites investigated by B Brown. The owner of the property lives in bungalow next door to sand pit (S1).
Saxo-Norman pottery wasters and kiln debris recovered . The pottery of a hard red-brown gritty ware with a grey core, comparable with Ipswich ware, represented all small cooking pots. Probably the same as 00786 (S2). (S3). (S4).
- <R1> SSF15623 (No record type): PCAS, 50, 1957, 39, 41 (ill).
- <S1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1947-65, 1947.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM35SW3, 1978.
- <S3> SSF7684 Article in serial: Hurst, J. G. and West, S. E.. 1957. Saxo-Norman Pottery in East Anglia. 50, 29-60. p. 39.
- <S4> SSF59161 Monograph: West, S.. 1998. A Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Material From Suffolk, East Anglian Archaeology. p. 13, p.317, p.320, p.371.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S6> SSF60096 Article in serial: J G Hurst & S E West. Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society. vol 50, 1957.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 23 2021 12:46PM