Monument record ERL 048 - Lords Walk; Lakenheath Airfield (Iron Age)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7222 7969 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ERISWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Occupation; coin hoard.
Hoard (scattered) of 255 Iceni & 72 Republican coins, silver, from building site, found in summer of 1972. Probably deposited during revolt of AD 60/1 (S5).
A hoard of 327 Iron Age and Roman silver coins were found on a building site at Lord's Walk, Eriswell. (S1)
TL 723798. Iron Age and Romano-British pottery sherds were found at Lord's Walk near the site of the coin hoard (TL 77 NW 36). Now in Ipswich Museum, Acc No 1974-134. (S2)
The coin hoard is dated to AD 60/1 and consisted of 255 Icenian and 72 Roman silver coins. List of the coins. (S3)
Adjacent area excavated, enclosure ditch, pits and single grave (extended inhumation). Pottery hand-made, sand and chaff temper - late IA (S4).
See also Bronze Age Record and ERL 054.
- <S1> SSF54103 Bibliographic reference: Britannia. Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies 301 4, 1973.
- <S2> SSF56003 Article in serial: Owles, E. J.. 1974. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1974. XXXIII.2, pp. 212–224..
- <S3> SSF3825 Bibliographic reference: British Museum. 1984. Coin Hoards from Roman Britain 4. Coin Hoards from Roman Britain, 4, BM Occasional Paper, 1984, Chapter 1.
- <S4> SSF22994 Unpublished document: West S E,. 1982. ERL 048 draft excavation report. West S E, draft excavation report, 1982.
- <S5> SSF2953 Personal Correspondence: 1984. Burnett A, letter of April 27, 1984. Burnett A, letter of April 27, 1984.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 26 2021 3:24PM