Monument record HNY 001 - Pump Farm (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0250 7672 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||HINDERCLAY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Two Med clamp kiln sites found at Pump Farm during 1958/1959 by(see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s). The owner, Mr A Scott advised Basil Brown and one area circa 13 feet x 9 feet was cleared showing two black areas surrounded by red burnt clay. One area contained hundreds of sherds ranging from C14-C16 (early) including wasters. The second area contained more pottery and pieces of roof covering of red clay with impressed straw marks. Some Med iron objects found, including a (gipciere) purse mount, tweezers and a lug from a bucket. The remains were 9 inches below ground surface. Pottery closely resembles that found at the Med kilns at "Homestead", circa 250m to the W of this site - see HNY 007 (S1)(S2)(S3)(S4).
Described in Medieval Archaeology as two kiln dumps (S2).
Rom coin and pottery near this site and "ancient road crosses site E-W" (S1).
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XII 20 22-25 28-33 36 37 74 75; LXXII 118 122 134; LXXIII 19; card index 165.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index.
- <S2> SSF11140 (No record type): Medieval Archaeol, 3, 1959, 325; 4, 1960, 164.
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 959-183, 1959.
- <S4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 28, 1959, (1), 92.
- <S5> SSF60150 Map: Brown, B.. Annotated Record Map Corr 6".
- <S6> SSF60034 Personal Correspondence: Various. Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comment. Mr A Scott, Pump Farm, Hinderclay.
- <S7> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 NKB 12-DEC-73.
- <S8> SSF60037 Bibliographic reference: McCarthy, M.R; Brooks, C. M.. 1988. Medieval pottery in Britain AD 900-1600.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 13 2022 10:07AM