Monument record TYN 013 - A field system, possible crofts and small ditched enclosures of unknown date can be seen as cropmarks on aerial photographs, Trimley St… (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 265 377 (357m by 730m)|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARTIN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Traces of field system which traverse ring ditch, TYN 046 (S1)(S2). Possible continuation to the NE, TYN 067 (S4).
Also small med and rom pot scatter and undated bronze buckle. (S5)
Traces of a ditched field system of unknown date can be seen as cropmarks centred on circa TM26593793. They appear to bear no relationship with the ring ditch TYN 046, which is crossed only by cropmarks of periglacial frost cracks. These fragments of field boundary may be part of TYN 122 & TYN 067. To the south of these at circa TM 26653773 are a number very straight linear features orientated NWN-SES. These may be the remains of land division boundaries, possibly crofts, related to the curvilinear cropmarks immediately to the south, or more modern features such as drains, although this appears unlikely on the soils of this area. A possible ring ditch of unknown date is visible to the west of these linear features at TM26583766. A possible small oval enclosure circa 7 by 4.5 metres in size sites 50 metres to the north-east of the ring ditch at circa TM26603771, but this may be geological in origin. (S6-S8)
- <S1> SSF18712 (No record type): SAU, APS ACX 18,19.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APS: SAU ACX 18,19; Mrs McMasters 52; CUCAP CJG 3, CMP 16.
- <S2> SSF11066 (No record type): McMasters, I.. McMasters Mrs, AP 52. 1990.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP CJG 3, 1979; CMP 16.
- <S4> SSF89 (No record type): Air Photo Service, 1:2500 A14 Trimley Improvement AP plot, 1995.
- <S5> SSF50104 Digital archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. Portable Antiquities Database. Minter, F., SCCAS. Sf-8d4273, 8d5c44, 8d69do, 8d74a3. 2003.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2637/1 (956/327) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S7> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2637/9 (RHF 1933/11) 30-JUL-1980.
- <S8> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2637/10 (RHF 1933/13) 30-JUL-1980.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 21 2021 9:38PM