Monument record TYN 037 - A ring ditch of circa 27 metres diameter, probably the remains of a Bronze Age barrow, can be seen on air photographs as a cropmark to the south of I…
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2700 3900 (27m by 27m)|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARTIN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Ring ditch, circa 35m diameter. One of a group of five, TYN 038-041, - this is the largest, with possible entrance to SE, the other four are quite small. A complex of field system, TYN 011, and enclosures, TYN 042, occurs nearby (S1).
A ring ditch of circa 27 metres diameter, probably the remains of a Bronze Age barrow, can be seen on air photographs as a cropmark approximately 150 metres to the south-west of Innocence Cottage in Trimley St Martin parish, centred on circa TM27003900. The cropmark of the ditch appears to be between 2 and (5?) metres wide on available photographs. The enclosed area is circa 20 metres in diameter. Four smaller possible barrows can be seen as ring ditches to the south (see TYN 038-041), probably satellites of the larger probable barrow. The complex of barrows is within the area of a probably medieval field system and this largest ring-ditch may have been incorporated into the boundary ditches as an extant earthwork (see TYN 011). (S3-S5)
- <S1> SSF18711 (No record type): SAU, APs ACX 16,18,19; ADI 01-03,05; AFZ 06-07,13,18; AGK 16; ALM 03; ACQ 21.
- <M1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. APs: ACX 16,18,19; ADI 01-03,05; AFZ 06-07,13,18; AGK 16; ALM 03; ACQ 21;(S2).
- <S2> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, AP, CP/97/38/8, July 1997.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2738/12 (SFU11552/CX/17) 22-JUN-1976.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2738/5 (SFU 11560/FZ/7) XX-JUL-1977.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2738/20 (RHF 11473/6) 12-JUL-1976.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 23 2009 10:51AM