Monument record TYY 004 - The Old Salt Works
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 267 358 (100m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
"Old Salt Works", S of "Salter's Wood" on OS map (S1); and shown as a roughly rectangular ditched earthwork. One fragment C13 pottery from trial excavation by R Mann, 1960(?). Said to be no pottery finds in (S2)(S3) - probably PMed.
A rectangular ditched enclosure, visible first as an earthwork and then later ploughed out as a soilmark, can be seen on aerial photographs taken from the 1940s onwards. The enclosure measures 40m by 25m and is surrounded by a substantial ditch. Another ditch is visible dividing the interior of the enclosure but this may not be contemporary. (S4) (S5) (S6) (S7) The enclosure is marked as 'Old Salt Works' on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map dated circa 1884 but it is not typical of a salt production site of any period. See TYY 044 for other salt production sites in the immediate vicinity. (S8)
Fieldwalking inspection by Linzi Everett (SCCAS) revealed it was very unlikely to be a saltern, "nothing red-hillish about it". An earthwork is still visible, thought to be Pmed in date. S9.
- <S1> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:25000 map, LXXXIX.3, 1926.
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA/28/1960/296.
- <R2> SSF10083 (No record type): JFAM/1/1961.
- <S2> SSF6273 (No record type): Felixstowe Archaeological Movement (Journal), 2, July 1960.
- <S3> SSF6279 (No record type): Felixstowe Archaeological Movement (Journal), 3, December 1960, 25-6.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/23 4017-4018 06-JUL-1944.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/115 5075-5076 30-AUG-1948.
- <S6> SXS50090 Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Ltd. Meridian - Air Photograph. NMR MAL/65096 169 06-NOV-1965.
- <S7> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2635/15 (21699/22) 13-AUG-2002.
- <S8> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S9> SXS50121 Verbal communication: Everett, L.. 2002. Linzi Everett - Verbal Communication. Linzi Everett per Clare McLannahan, both SCCAS. May 2005.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Dec 14 2010 5:27PM