Poorly Located Monument record HBK 002 - Findspot of a Roman coin hoard.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1 3 (10000m by 10000m)|
|Civil Parish||HOLBROOK, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Coin hoard. Date of last coin: Constantius II (AD 337-367). Found in 1841. Included Diocletian, Constantius Chlorus, Constantine I, Constantius II. Found on marshy ground near R Stour, "slightly covered by the sand and shingle on the shore of the river" (S1)(S2)(R2). Five coins listed by VCH, as above plus one of Maximian (S1)(R3).
"In 1853 four third brass coins - (1) MAXIMIN DAZA (AD 308-13), struck at Triers; (2) Constantine the Great (AD 307-37), struck at Triers; (3) another struct in London and (4) a different mintage of the same coin, were found on the banks of the R Stour at Holbrook", (S1)(R3)(R4).
- <R1> SSF12164 (No record type): Numis Chronicle, 4, 64.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM13NE7,9.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Holbrook R.
- <R2> SSF9928 (No record type): Ipswich Journal, 20 March 1841.
- <R3> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk 1. 309.
- <R4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 1, 151.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 21 2020 8:47AM