Monument record HBK 004 - Rectilinear field system of unknown date, visible as cropmarks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 159 351 (628m by 447m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HOLBROOK, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||STUTTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
System of rectilinear field boundaries, with several intersecting lengths of ditch over quite a wide area, N of Royal Hospital School. One or two short lengths suggest narrow rectangular fields (S1-S4)).
Crosses Holbrook/Stutton parish boundary.
A rectilinear ditched-defined field system of unknown date is visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, centred on TM 16023516 to the west of the Royal Hospital School in Stutton and Holbrook parishes. The field system is defined by a number of parallel boundaries and a trackway which are orientated on a roughly east-west alignment and, on average, are spaced 80m apart. The trackway, centred on TM 16023535, is visible for around 500m and is defined by two ditches with a compacted surface between them. To the west, centred on TM 15823519, the partial cropmark of a rectilinear enclosure with a possible entrance is visible. This enclosure appears to be a continuation of the same field system but the enclosure ditch appears to be of a much more substantial nature than the rest of the field system ditches. (S3-S6)
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR, AP 2/278.
- <M1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. APs: NMR 2/278, 3/192; SAU AGL 19,20.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR, AP 3/192.
- <S3> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1635/4 (SFU 11569/GL/19) 03-AUG-1977 ( AGL 19).
- <S4> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1635/5 (SFU 11569/GL/20) 03-AUG-1977 (AGL 20).
- <S5> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/66189 114-116 23-JUL-1966.
- <S6> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/80104 017-018 03-JUN-1980.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2014 3:07PM