Monument record HBK 011 - Possible Bronze-Age round barrow, visible as a ring ditch on aerial photographs.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1828 3547 (44m by 44m)|
|Civil Parish||HOLBROOK, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Large circular ring ditch, circa 40m diameter. Traversed by trackways and field boundaries, HBK 007 (S1)(S2)(S6).
A possible Bronze Age round barrow is visible as the cropmark of a ring ditch on aerial photographs, centred on TM 18283548 to the east of Buck Wood in Holbrook parish. The ring ditch encloses an area of roughly 36m in diameter and encloses a small hollow or area of wetter ground, although this may be coincidental rather than intentional. A number of linear ditches run into the area of the ring ditch (HBK 007) but it is unlikely that these ditches are contemporary with the ring ditch. The size of the ring ditch suggests that it may be the remains of a plough-levelled round barrow of possible Bronze Age date though there is no further evidence available to support this interpretation. The barrow may have been used as a marker to layout further field boundaries (see HBK 007). There is also a possibility that the site could represent the remains of a plough-levelled mill mound. (S1-S3) (S6-S8)
- <M1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. APs: NMR 1/296; SAU AGJ 23,27; (S3)(S4)(S5).
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1835/1 (826/296) 07-JUL-1975.
- <S2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1835/4 (SFU 11565/GJ/23) 21-JUL-1977 (AGJ 23).
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1835/30 (EXC 19093/11) 09-JUN-1997 (CP/97/14/11).
- <S4> SSF11094 (No record type): McMasters, I.. McMasters, AP Sheet 1 No 7, Sheet 2 No 22.
- <S5> SSF6235 (No record type): Farrands, AP, 160.5.1977.
- <S6> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1835/5 (SFU 11565/GJ/27) 21-JUL-1977 (AGJ 27).
- <S7> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1835/25 (15086/65) 28-JUN-1994.
- <S8> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1835/32 (21332/35) 30-JUL-2001.
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 4 2021 1:33PM