Monument record WTM 007 - Upper Buntings Field
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0844 7662 (73m by 101m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||WORTHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Roman occupation site found during pipelaying in August 1955 on Upper Buntings Field. Three hut(?) sites found at TM 0847 7660 all with hearths, and three more huts(?) seen at approximately TM 0844 7666. Area for 60 feet around strewn with pottery fragments and much burnt clay. The hearths contained much black earth, burnt clay, chalk fragments and calcined flints, some worked (S1) (S2).
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, V 89-91; map 24.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive : volume, map.
- <M2> SSF35624 (No record type): Photographs : BJO5 BJO6, BKE10.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07NE9,.
- <S3> SSF60150 Map: Brown, B.. Annotated Record Map Corr 6".
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 19 2022 11:26AM