Monument record WTM 013 - Old Rifle Range
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0862 7990 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||WORTHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Mound in NW corner of Wortham Ling, circa 160 feet long, highest point circa 20 feet, 45 feet wide, suggested as long barrow, disturbed by rifle butts (S1).
"Upon this ling is a small tumulus" - this probably relates to WTM 039 (S2).
"Traces of Roman Camp on Wortham Ling" (S3)(R1).
Shown on 1:2500 map as oval and traversed by footpath (S4).
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Wortham Neo ?.
- <R1> SSF6786 (No record type): Gazetteer (of Suffolk?), 1857.
- <S2> SSF23132 (No record type): White, Suffolk, 1844, 351.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Wortham RB.
- <S4> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, TM 08 79, 1978.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 26 1995 12:00AM