Monument record HRK 004 - West of Boleyns Covert
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1946 3431 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||HARKSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Ring ditch, circa 30m diameter (S1-S4).
The remains of a possible Bronze Age round barrow are visible as the cropmark of a ring ditch, located at TM 19463431 to the west of Boleyns Covert in Harkstead parish. The wide ring ditch encloses an area of approximately 23m in diameter and is located on a gentle east-facing slope overlooking a shallow sided valley. The size of the ditch and the area that it encloses suggest that it may be the plough-levelled remains of a round barrow of Bronze Age date. (S1-S5) There is no visible relationship between the ring ditch and the probable Prehistoric settlement site to the south (HRK 007). (S2) does not appear to show this site according to the CUCAP catalogue. (S6)
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: SAU ACS 17, AGK 05, AJL 01; CUCAP ZC 66.
- <S1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1934/4 (SFU 11549/17) 23-JUL-1975 (ACS17).
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (ZC66) Wrong Ref?.
- <S3> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1934/2 (SFU 11565/GK/5) 21-JUL-1977.
- <S4> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. SAU AJL 01.
- <S5> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1934/20 (EXC 16926/13) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S6> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 01/03/04.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2014 3:57PM