Monument record HRK 017 - Possible Bronze-Age round barrow or Prehistoric or Roman hut site.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2014 3479 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||HARKSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Ring ditch, circa 20m diameter (S1).
A possible Bronze Age round barrow or Prehistoric or Roman hut site is visible as the cropmark of a ring ditch on aerial photographs, centred on TM 20133479 in the field to the south of Rag Cottage in Harkstead parish. The ring ditch encloses an area of 12.5m in diameter and appears to be isolated although another ring ditch is visible 250m to the south (HRK 065) and a various linear ditched features are also visible nearby (HRK 066 and HRK067). The size of the ring ditch suggests that it could be the remains of either a small Bronze Age round barrow or represent a Prehistoric or Roman hut site though there is no other supporting evidence for either of these interpretations. (S1-S4)
- <M1> SSF35645 (No record type): AP: SAU AGL 08.
- <S1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2034/2 (SFU 11569/GL/8) 03-AUG-1977.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2034/25 (RHF 19513/08) 19-JUL-1978.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2034/13 (4506/21) 17-JUL-1989.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2034/16 (4630/77) 30-MAY-1990.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2014 2:57PM