Monument record HRK 029 - Later Prehistoric or Roman oval or sub circular enclosure.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 188 355 (159m by 164m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HARKSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Part of ?oval enclosure, W half complete, NE part missing, SE corner not meeting up with the rest but providing a possible side entrance. A stretch of trackway runs SW from the main N-S field ditch. A number of rectilinear field boundaries within and outside the enclosure, but not forming any obvious connection with it. Within HRK 018 (S1).
A sub-circular ditched enclosure of possible Later Prehistoric or Roman date is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, centred on TM 18883551 to the south-west of The Vale farm, Harkstead. The substantial enclosure ditch is roughly circular with a square north-east corner and encloses an area 97m by 93m. A gap in the enclosure ditch may represent an entrance into the enclosure and a two parallel linear ditches within the enclosure may represent a trackway related to this entrance. This trackway may be a continuation of the trackway to the south recorded in HRK 018. A large pit is visible on the north-west corner of the enclosure ditch where another ditch, of possible geological origin, runs up to the enclosure. The location of the pit may be coincidental and it may be related to the Post Medieval field boundary which runs north to south. Linear ditches, trackways, pits and geological features are also visible within the field (HRK 018) but these do not appear to be directly related to the enclosure. The shape of the enclosure suggests that it may be of Later Prehistoric or Roman date. (S2) (S5-S7)
- <S1> SSF18845 (No record type): SAU, APs AGJ 24, 26.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: SAU AGJ 24, 26; CUCAP ZZ 77-78, CDK 84.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (ZZ77) 09-JUL-1959.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (ZZ78) 09-JUL-1959.
- <S4> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (CDK84) 27-JUL-1977.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1835/21 (4839/77) 08-JUL-1993.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1835/39 (23167/19) 22-JUL-2003.
- <S7> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1835/43 (23155/31) 22-JUL-2003.
- <S8> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 9 2018 2:54PM