Monument record BUR 007 - Foxhills, Burgate Wood
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0770 7554 (80m by 92m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BURGATE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Med moated site, rectangular circa 210 feet x 180 feet at Foxhills in Burgate Wood. Visited in 1934 by Basil Brown, when he found sherds of pottery he considered Saxon but vetted by Group Captain Knocker as "Saxo-Norman". Visited again in 1961, when he found many pottery fragments and oyster shells, vetted as C11-C12. Basil Brown also records a small hill, barrow or a tumulus S-SE of the moated area (S1)(R1).
Letter to B Brown dated 1934 from Rev P Oakley Hill says "In my time (1902- 1911) this site was always regarded locally as the original site of the manor of de Burgates, i.e. before they built Burgate Hall - see BUR 005. 1990: Site lies in Burgate Wood and is covered with trees. Mapped on 1: 10000 scale map as roughly circular, with flattened sides, not mapped at all on the old 1:2500 map. The impression on the ground is of a rounded rather than a rectangular shape. The earthwork consists of a dry ditch 5-8m wide and about 2m deep, and an internal bank about 8m wide and now in a degraded condition. The form, and the presence of internal banks, suggest that this is an early medieval ring work. The earthwork lies about 150m W of the Burgate hall moat (BUR 005). In 1086 the main manor in Burgate was held by Adelhelm under Aubrey de Vere, Wulfwin had held it in 1066. By the C13 the manor was held by the de Burgate family, as tenants of the de Veres, Earls of Oxford (S2).
July 1999: Scheduled (as ringwork). Details in (S3).
Earthworks visible on Lidar. See associated files.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07NE24.16.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XII,111; XX,48; XCIII,40; XCIV,41; XCVI,7,14; cards 73,78; map 24.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <S2> SSF10913 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, 1990.
- <S3> SSF50080 Unpublished document: English Heritage. Scheduling Information, July 1999.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 21 2020 1:41PM